Thursday 11 October 2012

Corn Husk Dolls

After harvesting the corn from our allotment we had many of the outer leaves or husks left over which usually get composted but I thought I would get the children to fit in a few extra crafts. The traditional corn husk dolls are a very beautiful Native American Indian craft but I thought I would try a simpler way of making them for small children to try. When I was a little girl I used to make wool dolls with my grandmother, like the ones below, which could be worn on a brooch.


This is the style we thought we would use for our corn husk dolls. First you need the outer leaves of a corn cob, these can be used fresh as I have or they can be dried.


Gather them all together in your hand as tightly as possible and tie a knot around one end as seen in the photograph below.


 Trim your knot up and the corn leaves to make it look neat and level, then tie another knot a little further down.... this will now be the head.


Next you need to make the arms, we have used a couple of leaves tied at each end to look like hands. Separate the trailing leaves on your doll as seen above and insert the arms.


Then tie another knot under your arms to hold them in place, in the above photograph I have tied a little extra wool around the chest in a criss cross style, just as decoration, in the pink one we have left this out. Your corn doll is now taking shape, if you would like a lady corn doll it can be left like this, just trim the bottom leaves and she looks like she is wearing a long dress.


For a man corn doll, split the bottom leaves in two and tie off in legs like the photograph above... we have drawn on a little face but the traditional ones are faceless.


This one even stands up by herself.... my daughter has really enjoyed making and playing with these over the last few days, I think they have taken up residence in her doll's house at the moment. I will leave you with a photo of the whole family.





6 comments:

  1. they look really great :) i am now disappointed that we finished harvesting our sweetcorn a couple of weeks ago and have missed an opportunity this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. We were a little later than usually with the corn this year, most of the husks are from the ones we were leaving to collect the seeds for next year :)

      Delete
  2. Goodness, I used to make those wollen ones when I was small! I am tempted to go and by the corn from Lidl with its husks on just to have a go at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lots of people made these as children, this craft really took me back to my childhood... especially making the little wool one :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I love the simplicity of it and "back to basics. Adorable.

    Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo nice..u sharing.. I like to read your blog when i get time .Lira

    ReplyDelete